Friday, October 31, 2014

A Bright Talent Gone Too Soon

As many of you have probably already heard, this week the Cardinals organization and fans lost a member of its baseball family. Oscar Taveras, a young man full of potential to become a great player for years to come, was tragically killed in a car accident in his native home of  the Dominican Republic earlier this week, along with his girlfriend. It seems to be a tragic continuation of untimely deaths within the Cardinals organization, as I can remember the days that Darryl Kile and Josh Hancock both passed away.

I remember the first time I heard about Oscar as the bright, promising ball player in the minor leagues that was primed to become the next great Cardinal. I grew giddy with anticipation with the numbers he put up in the minors, but with an already loaded Major League outfield, I knew his chance to make it on the team and play everyday would be slim. As luck would have it, he got his opportunity when Matt Adams hit the disabled listed and he introduced himself in grand fashion. I remember sitting in the living room watching the game as Oscar made his MLB debut May 31, 2014 against the Giants. In his second ever at bat in the Majors, I got to witness the realized potential of the man, as he hit a towering home run to right, which ended up being the game winning hit.

I'll always remember that moment.

RIP Oscar Taveras,

Forever a Cardinal in Our Hearts




No comments:

Post a Comment